March 7, 2022
Dear Martin De Porres Community,
Effective Wednesday March 9th, mask use at Martin De Porres will be optional. Based on guidance from the NYS Department of Health, the NYS Education Department, and the declining number of COVID-19 cases in our programs, we have made the decision to make masking optional at MDP. After Midwinter Recess, both the take-home and in-school tests showed no spike in positive cases. We believe that it is the right time to safely move from a universal mask requirement to a mask-optional policy.
Please note the following:
- We will respect and support the choices that families and staff make regarding the wearing of masks in our schools.
- Students and staff, regardless of vaccination status, must continue to stay home if they feel sick or exhibit any symptoms.
- Any student or staff member who has tested positive for COVID-19 must report this to their program administration.
- All isolation and quarantine periods will be determined based on guidance from the New York State and Nassau County Departments of Health.
- Any students or staff members who have been identified as a close contact requiring a quarantine will be contacted by administration.
- Faculty, students, and staff members returning to school after a 5-day isolation or quarantine, are required to wear a well-fitting mask upon return to school based on guidance from the New York State and Nassau County Departments of Health.
- All other current mitigation strategies will remain in place.
- Unvaccinated staff members must continue their weekly testing.
Based on evolving metrics and conditions, this decision may be subject to change. If infection numbers increase we may reinstate the universal mask requirement at Martin De Porres. As always, the health and safety of our students and staff is our main priority. Thank you all for your patience and cooperation as we continue to make MDP as safe as we can.
Please feel free to contact me at 516-502-2840 if you have any questions.
The Martin De Porres School for Exceptional Children