Parents bill of rights for data privacy and security
The Martin de Porres School is committed to protecting the privacy and security of each and every student’s data. Parents should be aware of the following rights they have concerning their child’s data:
1. A student’s personally identifiable information cannot be sold or released for any commercial purposes.
2. Parents have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child’s education record
3. The confidentiality of a student’s personally identifiable information is protected by existing state and federal laws, and safeguards such as encryption, firewalls, and password protection, must be in place when data is stored or transferred.
4. A complete list of all student data elements collected by the State Education Department is available for public review at: http://www/p12.nysed.gov/irs/sirs/documentation/NYSEDstudentData.xlsx or by writing to the Office of Information & Reporting Services, New York State Education Department, Room 863 EBA, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12234.
5. Parents have the right to file complaints about possible breaches of student data. Complaints pertaining to the State Education Department, or one of its third party vendors should be directed in writing to the Chief Privacy Officer, New York State Education Department, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12234, or email to CPO@mail.nysed.gov The complaint process in under development and will be established through regulations to be proposed by the State Education Department’s Chief Privacy Officer.
6. The State Education Department’s Chief Privacy Officer will develop additional elements for this Parents’ Bill of Rights, which will be prescribed in Regulations of the Commissioner and updated by the District accordingly.
7. Upon the adoption of regulations and guidance for the State Education Department, as required by Education Law 2-d(3)(d) and 2-d(5)(a-b), if the District enters into a contract with a third party in which student, teacher or principal data is shared with a third party, supplemental information for each such contract will be appended to this Parents’ Bill of Rights
8. Parents may access the State Education Department’s Parents’ Bill of Rights at: